Discalced Carmelites of the Australia Oceania Region
Nuns

Auckland

Carmelite Monastery, Auckland, New Zealand

Seven Nuns from the Carmelite Monastery in Sydney, arrived in Auckland, on February 15, 1937. They came at the request of the Bishop of Auckland, James M. Liston, as foundation members of a new Carmel in New Zealand. On arrival in Auckland they were the quests, for three months, of the Good Shepherd Sisters in Waikowhai. While there they looked for a suitable house and property. A sixty year old medium sized kauri villa on a small farm estate was purchased and the Carmelites moved there on April 20, 1937. The old villa at 636 Mt. Albert Road, Epsom, became and remains an integral part of the Auckland Carmelite Monastery. Plans for the erection of a small wooden Chapel with adjoining monastic Choir and Extern Convent were soon underway and these essential additions were completed within a year. The Blessing of the Chapel and establishment of Canonical Enclosure took place on February 13, 1938 and the Chapel was then given St. Thomas, Apostle as Titular Patron.

As the Community gradually grew new additions were made to the old villa. It is situated on a two-and-a-half acre property in a residential area of central Auckland. The making of Altar Breads has always been and continues to be the main work of the Community and its means of earning a livelihood.

Contact Us

Carmelite Monastery,
636 Mt Albert Road
Royal Oak, Auckland 1023
New Zealand
Tel.: +64 (09) 625 9680
Email: Prioress, Auckland
Website: www.carmelites.org.nz